ITIY3 Introduction to Web Publishing – 5 ECTS
This is a separate English version of the ITIY3 course, taught completely in English in periods 2 and 4! The Finnish version of the course (strongly recommended for Finnish speaking students) is available in periods 1 and 3.
NOTE! If you have enrolled for the course and you are only in cue or not accepted, you may still join the course if there are cancellations. You can inquire about vacancies after the first teaching session by contacting the course teacher.
The ITIY3 course is a basic course. You are not required to have previous web publishing experience. We are working with simple tools to edit text documents to create web pages, online tools to edit images and try the tools to create a WordPress site. During the course we use Google Chrome web browser to preview and to analyse web pages (Developer tool). The classes are in a computer classroom with Windows based computers and pre-installed software. You may use your own computer, install the same tools (all free, see the bottom of the page) or may use different software/ operation systems.
Course teacher: Andras Varga – andras.varga at uta.fi
Course page in Moodle – available later
Enrollment and course details
Enrolment to the course is through NettiOpsu. If you missed the enrolment period and you wish to join the course, please contact the teacher via e-mail at andras.varga [ ] uta.fi. Note that NettiOpsu should be also used when you wish to withdraw your enrolment to the course.
2018-2019 period 2 – https://www10.uta.fi/opas/opetusohjelma/marjapuuro.htm?id=39094
2018-2019 period 4 – https://www10.uta.fi/opas/opetusohjelma/marjapuuro.htm?id=39095
The course materials, tasks and other additional course related activities are published in the course’s Moodle area – available later
General Course Outline
The course is divided to 7 themes
- Web publishing tools and the web environment
- Web pages and HTML (HyperText Markup Language) – structural layer
- Web pages and CSS style language (Cascading Style Sheets) – presentational layer
- How HTML and CSS works together: styling text, the box model and basic positioning
- Styles for different media environments, responsive web pages
- Digital images and web publishing
- Web publishing basics with WordPress
Completing the course
- Follow the classroom teaching and go through the materials and examples.
- Experiment and try out your ideas with your learnt new skills. Ask when needed! (during the classes or via e-mail)
- Complete the additional tasks given during the course.
- Take the exam at the end of the course
The exam is on paper. No computers are needed.
Students who participate in the classroom teaching do not need to register for the exam!
Web publishing tools used during the ITIY3 course in the classroom
- Text editor – Notepad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download)
- Web browser – Google Chrome (https://www.google.fi/chrome/browser/desktop/)
- Image editing – online tools at Pixlr.com (https://pixlr.com)
- WordPressMU installation on our server (https://blogs.sis.uta.fi/)